John Pisarick
Plant a Tree
Plant a Tree

Obituary of John V. Pisarick

John V. Pisarick, Sr., 95, of Hamilton passed away on February 22, 2019. He was a lifelong area resident. John was a parishioner of St. Raphael-Holy Angels Parish, and was an usher for over 50 years. He is retired from John A. Roebling and Sons, and Mercer County Community College. He was a member of the Whitehorse Volunteer Fire Department. John loved being with his family, supporting them in all that they do. He enjoyed the beach and the ocean. In his younger years, he enjoyed basketball, bowling, softball, and boxing. He was a member of SACO (Sino-American Cooperative Organization - He was also a member of the Armed Guard and the Hump Pilot Association. He is a recipient of the Distinguished Service Medal. He is also a recipient of the SACO Service Medal awarded by the Republic of China, and many other honorable awards.

Son of the late John and Mary (Gelak) Pisarick, husband of the late Mildred (Sikowski) Pisarick, brother of the late Mary Cook. Surviving are his children and spouses Deborah and Dr. Thomas Paglione of Robbinsville, Daire and Craig Goettler esq. of Solbury, PA, and John V. and Kelly Pisarick, Jr., of Hamilton, Grandchildren Erika Dunbar (Parker), Courtney Woodhull (Timothy), Christopher Paglione, and Samantha Pisarick (Fiance Matthew DeGraw), Great Grandchildren Blake Woodhull, Adalynd Dunbar, and Taylor Rhen Woodhull, and his beloved dog Zippy.

The funeral will begin at 8:00am on Wednesday February 27, 2019 at Knott's Colonial Funeral Home 2946 South Broad St., Hamilton. Funeral Mass will be celebrated at 9:30am at St. Raphael Church 3500 South Broad St. Interment will be held in Our Lady of Lourdes Cemetery. Relatives and friends may call on Tuesday, February 26, from 5:00pm to 8:00pm at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations to Mercer County Community College Foundation to help establish a memorial scholarship in memory of John V. Pisarick Sr.

Please make donation online at in memory of John V. Pisarick Sr.

Or if you prefer to mail your donation payable to MCCC Foundation, indicate in memory of John V. Pisarick Sr. to MCCC Foundation, 1200 Old Trenton Road, West Windsor, NJ 08550 or call 609-570-3607 or email

Luck & Prayers by John V.

Pisarick, Gunners Mate First


War had broken out. I went

to enlist with the Trenton gang

into the Marines. I was rejected

- color blind.

While working in the steel

plant I was called and drafted

for service at Newark, NJ draft

board. They told me that I was

going into the Marines. I told

the officer in charge if I can go

Navy, as all my friends are in

the Marines, and I failed, hurt

me very much.

Spent Navy boot camp at

was set for us. All unit personnel

rec eived dysentery from

water we drank from the canals.

At camp (which was

called No. 7) we lived in a Chinese

temple. We were brought

to teach Chinese gunnery and

arts of war. After teaching Chinese,

I volunteered for duty behind

Japanese Lines.

Leaving Camp No. 7, I

marched and hid across Japanese

lines into Mayshein, China,

which was an American

Mission run by Maryknoll Fathers.

Maryknoll Fathers: Bishop

Ford and Father Donovan

had lived at the mission for

years. We had intelligence

training here. We lived with

the Maryknoll household for a

number of weeks, until training

was over.

Thirteen of the Navy men

who trained were going out behind

Japanese lines to be stationed

at different points. Our

first couple of days out, Chinese

Bandits held us up. We

bluffed them telling them

more Americans are on the

way. We encountered many

Japanese who were sleeping at

camp and we were going on

hands and knees past - while

their dogs barked. Pairings

were sent one radio man and

Navy personal with Interpreter.

After two days out, my buddy

Rudy Rossomano was captured.

Placing men at stations

we met U.S. Army Para-

Troopers who were here, if the

bombs did not work, for the invasion

of China.

I had enough points and was

sent by plane to Kunming. I

went back to Bombay and

boarded the troop ship General

Hodges. This was the ship that

was to take me through the Indian

Ocean, Arabian Sea, Gulf

Newport, Rhode Island. After

boot camp was sent to gunnery

school at Little Creek, Va. After

schooling was sent to pick up

Liberty Ship (Colin P. Kelleg).

Named after World War Hero

Pilot who dove plane into Japanese

war ship.

My first trip across the Atlantic

Ocean from the U.S.A. On

board was cargo of tanks and

trucks with U.S. Troops. Over

to Europe second trip was the

same. Stops in Africa, Oran-


Trip from first return

brought back German and Italian

prisoners. Third trip was to

Naples, Italy, loaded with

troops and 500 lb. bombs.

Luck was with me as the same

convoy was destroyed in Bari,

Italy. All convoys had

torpedoing. After coming

home was granted a 30 day

leave. After leave I was to report

back to Little Creek, Va.

Then I was assigned to a Small

Craft L.S.M. Small crafts were

landing barges. I saw a sign for

Hazardous Duty Volunteers

and I wanted to sign up for duty.

Was shipped to Washington,

D.C., and was paid to live

at the Hotel Ritz while others

were reporting. All we did was

report every morning to the Navy

building to muster, after day

was Liberty.

We were called together after

one week to report to the

Pentagon building. In the Pentagon

building we were photopictured,

fingerprinted for tattoos

and other features.

Leaving Washington, D.C.,

we boarded the troops transport

(ship General Anderson)

with Marines and troops

aboard. Leaving Virginia out to

sea - going past Cuba, Haiti -

through the Caribbean Sea -

through the Panama Canal - National

Date Line - New Zealand

of Edan, Red Sea, Suez Canal,

back into the Mediterranean

Sea -- into the Atlantic Ocean

into New York from New York

to the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

I received a 30 day leave. After

leave I reported to New

York for discharge December

24, 1945. 600 planes were lost

in the Himalayan Mountains. I

was given a one shot pistol (for

me). Virginia, U.S.A. to India 37

days at sea. India to U.S.A. 32

days at sea. Convoy sailings to

Africa - Italy- Sicily 20 to 25

days. Ships always (were zigzagging)

in ocean. Trip was made

around the world by sea.


John V. Pisarick, Gunners

Mate First Class

U.S. Navy, S.A.C.O. China

Share Your Memory of